Ignorance And Tolerance

, , 0 Comments »
Ignorance And Tolerance
by Black Arawn

I came across a little sign in my favorite fabric shop yesterday. It was shaped like a tombstone (of the Halloween decoration persuasion), and had cobwebs and spiders:

Here Lies


Hilda Haggy, Witch

Burned at the Stake, 1702

in Salem
(Or Some Other City)
during
Wick a Witch Week

Now, of course I still go there for my material to make clothes. Of course I still greet Pam, the owner, when I come in to make a purchase. And, of course, I still smile, purchase, talk, joke, and freely associate with these
"Christians-that-so-rudely-put-up-an-offensive-decoration." And there's a very simple reason why.

Ignorance is something we deal with every day. It can be simple, such as "I'm sorry officer, I didn't know the speed limit here was '55'," to complex as in the person who treated you so poorly because their brother died (but you were, of course, ignorant to that fact). I simply put the "offensive decoration" in the same category as a child who doesn't understand why in the world the orange won't flush down the toilet, and blew it up.

As Americans, we have two things we accept. First, we accept that (on paper) we have the right to practice any religion we choose, assemble peacefully as we choose, and print or say anything we choose, thanks to that wonderful document, the Bill of Rights. This constitutionally protected freedom we accept gladly;
we even use it at times to get out of being told we shouldn't say the things we want (or do the things we want).

The other thing we must accept as Americans, is that our citizens, like it or not, are for the most part, Judeo-Christian. It was founded by the Judeo- Christians who conquered this land, shaped by their descendants and is still run by their progeny today. In fact there are very few witches or other followers of the Path who were not born to Judeo-Christian parents and households (i.e.
born to Pagans who were descendants of same
).

For some of us, this second reality is as difficult to accept as a shot when we have the flu. We rail against it, expect our poor, confused brethren (GASP!
yes, I called them brethren
) to accept us for what we are, and pay no mind to the sensibilities that were forced upon them by their well-meaning parents and guardians. We become bitter when those sensibilities affect their attitudes toward us, and some of us even go out wearing Pagan jewelry not simply because we like it, but because we're itching for a brawl.

There isn't much written about what we do with about ignorance. But you can use the Wiccan Rede as a guide here, because here you ARE harming others when you
"Do What Thou Wilt." If you react to ignorance with bitterness, you are harming yourself, and run the risk of harming the object of your bitterness. You may even cause harm to other Pagans in your area if you poorly represent your community (especially if the person observing your behavior is partial to white hoods and burning crosses, like they are in my neck of the woods).

It is a much wiser choice to redirect the hurt and angry energy caused by inconsiderate or ignorant behavior and attitudes. If you use this energy to create a good situation or even a rapport with the person, you will find your rewards much more pleasant. If they don't come immediately, remember that karma sometimes takes a while to manifest.

Non-pagans don't have to be on the opposite side of the fence in other facets of our lives, either. We are Pagans; that doesn't give us leave to be anti-social.
I know many Christians that I still consider friends, who I would still trust with my life, even after many years I many years separated from them by belief.
And although they laugh very hard when I say it, I consider them among the Christians that "get it." I know who I am. I would not give up my Paganism for anyone. I do not, however, fault or begrudge anyone else THEIR beliefs, no matter how different they may be. I consider theirs a rather natural reaction to anyone who lives a Pagan life, considering the environment in which they live.

Try to understand what a Judeo-Christian society is expecting of them.
Understand that they are people just like you, trying to make sense of their universe. Understand that religious programming, no matter how much you disagree with it, is hard to break. Attempt to understand them, and be patient.
And you will find that eventually, they will extend you the same courtesy, even if it takes a few thousand years.

Origin: masonsofheaven.blogspot.com

Popular Posts