My Own Thoughts On Evangelizing

, , 0 Comments »
My Own Thoughts On Evangelizing
Wow. I posted a video yesterday that I thought was going to just be a throw away post. I wanted to show a Priest from a mainstream church who is specifically calling out against aggressive Christian tactics and actually calls them a jerks.

The big problem for Episcopalians as well as other Christians who are not fundamentalist nut jobs that think the world is only 6000 years old, is that they mostly mind their own business and do their own thing. Because of this their religion, and mine, is being usurped by hateful, anti-science, neo-conservative wind bags who actually know nothing of the Bible or Theology.

In the video he specifically calls for:


* Not simply relying upon the clout of the church to transmit the message.
* Not being a jerk, Don't argue or fight with people
* Show that you can be Christian and still be smart, non-judgemental, and not have hissyfits when people hold different view.
* Not tear people down in order to build yourself up
* Let sharing your religion come out in a natural way
* Most importantly, love the people you are sharing with
* Continue to grow in the faith yourself.
* Make the church more hospitable to different types of people and different cultures by transforming the institutions.

All this sounded pretty good to me.

Most commenter's felt differently. Some responses seemed to completely ignore the video and spirit of the post and just react to other types of Evangelizing (proselytizing really) that they are used to and which this video is in fact a rejection of. Others posted that evangelism is fine, but their automatic response is to ignore it completely or play into it for a gas.

My own feeling has always been that I appreciate it. Even the fundie, "do this or go to hell", types of Evangelizing.. I appreciate that someone, however misguided, is trying to do what they think is right and helpful. When I end with a polite rejection, or perhaps a counter point that they cannot answer and they reply "I will pray for you", I thank them. I mean it too. They are taking the time to pray for me, why would I be offended?

Also I have never felt that my own view is so perfect that I should ignore what other people are saying out of hand. I appreciate the education, even if it is just an education in the particular manner that you are wacky and intolerant. Here is the interesting thing about tolerence: If you are only tolerant of those that are tolerant of you, than you are not tolerant at all. Know where I learned that? Sunday school.

I want to thank people right now that have Evangelized to me. They took the time to talk to me about Buddhism, Thelema, Christianity, Gnosticism, Taoism, Ekankar, Anthroposophy, Vodou, Vortex Healing, Wicca, and a whole host of other things. You felt that your lives were being enriched by something that you knew about and I didn't and you wanted to share it with me. You shared your good news. I listened and perhaps I experimented with what you told me, and perhaps I didn't. Regardless of what i ended up doing with it, I appreciate you sharing the good news.

Popular Posts